100 minutes • Documentary • Produced in association with: CBC and A&E • Production year: 1999
The mystery of the lost tribes of Israel reverberates through three millennia of human experience. Of the twelve tribes mentioned in the Bible, only those of Judah and Benjamin survived the Assyrian capture of Israel.
The fate of the other ten tribes has puzzled and provoked scholars and theologians ever since. Throughout the centuries, extraordinary theories have sprung up:
- Medieval Europeans believed that Mongolian invaders were the ten tribes come back for blood.
- Mormon theology holds that the Native Americans are descendants of the lost tribes.
QUEST FOR THE LOST TRIBES is a quest to solve the mystery of the lost tribes. Investigating nearly every story, no matter how seemingly far-fetched, the journey leads to Afghanistan, China, India, Tunisia and the Middle East. What is found may well help shed some light on this enduring enigma.
Written and Directed by: Simcha Jacobovici
Producers: Elliott Halpern and Simcha Jacobovici
Executive Producers: Robert Lantos and Jack Rabinovitch
- Silver for Documentary, Annual Jewish Video Competition
- Nominee Best Feature Length Documentary, Hot Docs
- Nominee Best Feature Length Documentary, 2000 Genie Awards
Note: Prices above include applicable taxes and shipping.